Tag Archives: tutorials
Dresden Plate Ideas
I received my EZ Quilting 882700 Easy Dresden Quilt Tool Set this past Saturday. (Hint: Take an emery board or fine sandpaper and smooth out all the edges of the bamboo tool. This will prevent slivers in the fingers. Ouch!)
I’ve never sewn dresdens before, but I have so many ideas floating around in my head. One of them is to create a candle mat adapted from this Christmas table runner. I also want to do some tote bags with 1/4 circles (dresden fans).
Dresden Plate Inspiration
Here are a few good tutorials I’d like to share with you.
- Missouri Star Quilting Co. video – Jenny cuts them from charm pack (5″ x 5″) squares. If you do a full 5″, you can get 2 blades from each charm.
- BloomAndBlossom – This is a slick way of getting 3 blades from a charm. Just cut them 3-3/4″ instead of the full 5″.
- StitcheryDickoryDoc – Amy Gibson, a Craftsy instructor, has an great free tutorial on 5″ blades. By the way, have you signed up for Amy’s 2012 block of the month class? It’s free.
- Lurline – I love Lurline’s strip-pieced version with Kaffe Fassett fabrics.
- MamaLovesQuilts – Alternate the direction of the blades to stack them vertically for sort of a tumbling block/string quilt effect.
- Sew Sew Go – Here’s another runner version with sashing between the blades. I like this one, too.
- Geta’s Quilting Studio – Geta’s modern version is my favorite. Check out her entire blog. This lady is incredibly talented.
- The Way I Sew It – Here’s another string version, but with varying fabric widths for a really scrappy look. It’s a table mat. Could also be used for a candle mat, flower pot or vase mat. Sew cute!
- Annabel’s Orchard – Very creative 1/2 plate dresdan. Butterflies are the perfect inspiration for layout ideas. I really like this. You can also do a version with 4 to 5 blades on each side with an appliqued butterfly body in the middle.
If I find more inspiration, I’ll post links. If you know of any more or you’ve made a cool dresden project, leave a comment and share your inspiration.